Koudelka (1999)

A lot of hard core gamers dissed this soundtrack because it wasn't gaudy or loud or violent, but the sheer smoothness of it, the rhythmic patterns were a welcome change from the usual. I am a hardcore gamer also, but just for its uniqueness, this one is a complete winner.

Koudelka was generally unpopular, yet however ecclectic the game and this were, I personally love it. The "Live" songs are particularly interesting.

The battle music, especially "05 Incantation Again" really grew on me as I played the game. It is much different than most combat related game music in which it's smooth and has a calming rhythm that made the difficult battle system in the game tolerable.

The "live" versions on this album are also a cool aspect to the game now that I've long since completed it. It put a new spin on music I thought was awesome, I really liked it.

A true masterpiece in every sense of the word. Battle music may not be very "horror" but it is a beautiful composition which makes a wonderful change from the usual in horror RPG's. Hiroki Kikuta is a genius.

One of ther best game EVER!!!!

I love this music, and shame that they haven't make a series of this game...

When people ask me what my favourite video game is, they assume it will be FF7 or one of the Zelda games - they never expect me to say Koudelka (though I do love the previous games mentioned). Tbh, most have never even heard of Koudelka. It's a gothic delight, with a dark atmosphere which is reflected in the music. The game is the prequel to the Shadow Hearts games - which is more well known than the prequel game.

Back