Air Zonk (TurboGrafx-16) (gamerip) (1992)

This game really shows what the TurboGrafx16 can do. The music slaps, the graphics are a great step above the NES/SMS, and the gameplay is fun and hectic. Probably my second favorite shmup on the system, behind Soldier Blade.

Last edited:
Most video game albums are fairly standard and structured, with an occasional nice tune that stands out. Occasionally though, you get a composer like Tim Follin or Ryu Umemoto who just squeezes every ounce of power out of the synth they are using and tie it together into wonderful songs. The composers here, Hisashi Matsushita and Daisuke Morishima, do that and do that superbly. Track 15 (Stage 5-3 (Boss Galore) is an excellent example of this, where they're just throwing instruments in left and right and going everywhere. That isn't something most musicians are capable of doing, and that kind of overall quality permeates the album. My only complaint is that some of the drums are a bit compressed with that static noise, but you really can't blame them for technological limitations and it really only stands out in the first track. Anyway, overall, I'd give this a 9.67/10. Not all the tracks are crazy good, with some just being fair, but the ones that are really kill it and the general quality is just so high.

In my opinion,
Superb: Stage 3 (Pock'n Stadium), Stage 5-3 (Boss Galore)
Also Great:
Opening, Stage 2, Stage 5-4 (Cyber Chickens), Credits

Last edited:
Back