Omoide ni Kawaru Kimi: Memories Off (Dreamcast) (gamerip) (2002)

A major contribution of Tokimeki Memorial in 1994 was that it domesticated the dating sim. Whereas the genre had previously emphasized the more carnal elements of love, Konami explicitly sought to replace this with a general atmosphere of romance instead. That game's success would result in a wave of romance games designed for all ages, with many traditional non-dating genres incorporating an element into it.

While I can't comment on the gameplay of Memories Off, the music nails that dreamy style that is dripping with romance that Konami sought. Unlike the Tokimeki Memorial series, which has a more varied and energetic soundtrack, this one is lowkey and relaxed, albeit while still involving a good deal of variety. For instance, Kashima sister captures a sort of lovely 90s supermarket feel. Then there's also Namaste, which is just straight traditional Indian music. That track has a nice tune to it, but meanders a bit, like this review. Honestly, this is just one of those albums that one has to chew on a bit to get its whole flavor. The more I listen, the more I like it. Hence, 9.37/10 and possibly higher with time.

Personal Favorites: Nayuta, Epilogue, More Memories
Also Good:
Ride on Bicycle, Day After Day, A Repeating Life, Namaste, Mifu, Hibiki (that shift to the bridge at 0:38) Kashimi Sister, Ride on bicycle ~piano arrange~, I May Love You (track 24!)

Last edited:
Back