Rudra no Hihou (SNES) (gamerip) (1996)

This is a great album! Most of the tracks are very strong, with a lot of the earlier ones exhibiting orchestral progression going far beyond the standard structuring of video game music. The instrumentation is also spot-on and varied- one never gets sick of hearing a certain instrument. The songs do get a little slower around tracks 39-50 (albeit still quite pleasant) but there's so much that's otherwise amazing. This is one of those albums that has so many great tracks that it is hard to recommend any. That said, I would recommend listening through tracks 1-16. I would also put a special emphasis on Ride on the Breeze, Night Shift, Dance with the Zombie, Battle for the Fields, Evil Eyes, Strange Encounter, The Spirit Chaser, Purgation, and Battle of the Last Enemy ~ In the Mirror as particularly noteworthy. I'm going to be a little less generous than the Guest Reviewer- while I like all the tracks, there's nothing that just immediately blew me away that I know I will be revisiting incessantly (compare the Boss Theme from Plok!). This might simply be because I haven't listened to the tracks enough (and these reviews are at first blush). That being said, tentatively, I'll give this a 9.75/10, albeit that could go up upon future listens.

Also as a side note: Echoes (and also Ride the Breeze- both share the same leitmotif) seems heavily influenced by the Overture from Lawrence of Arabia.

A great demonstration on using dotted notes + ternary rythms to achieve proper groove. Pretty standard, doesn't venture too far from the standards, but it's good by them and is somewhat memorable.
7/10

Back